I had the honor to petsit the most adorable, funny, sweetest 4 month old puppy last month. It has been a life long dream to have a dog, but because of all my travelling I didn’t want one. Lately I was thinking to get one anyway and teach him to travel with me. So I got myself a test dog and this is what I learned from petsitting him.
– I am hyper vigilant. This means that I am very sensitive to others’ needs. I scan other peoples facial and body expressions in order to anticipate and fulfill their needs. This also goes for dogs apparently. I was aware of the dog every second of the day. The first week he slept in my bed because a puppy and so cute. After that week I was exhausted.
I fell into my old state of being tired all day, like I was in former relationships and like I was when I worked in hospitality and all the impulses were overwhelming. I finally realized that my hyper vigilance stresses out my nervous system and the exhaustion is a signal that I need to take care of myself. The dog was banned to the living room at night and my energy returned.
– I feel guilty when I can’t fulfill all of his needs (codependency). Also something that I had in relationships. It was a hard yet beautiful process to allow me to not be the best petsitter in the world. I don’t have to walk him to the beach 4 times a day. I don’t have to cuddle him 8 hours a day. I am not perfect. I tried to really sit with this feeling. It never went away but it went down to a bearable level.
– I can’t do neediness. Being stared at and being followed 24 hours a day is not my thing. Even when I took a shower or sat on the toilet he just sat there and stared at me. I need me-time. My woman-cave.
– I don’t like being obligated to do things every day in a certain routine, like walking him. Routine makes me feel depressed.
– I don’t want a dog.
– I think dogs are the best species on the planet and if am asked to babysit him again I will with all my heart. As long as I can return him again, because that feels even better than having.
Wil je je relatie verbeteren? Meld je dan aan voor de “Boost je relatie” 21 dagen challenge. Stuur me een pb voor meer info. De start a.s. maandag!